Freshen Up Your Kitchen Designs
Whether it is to make the kitchen space larger with more useable space or it is to extend the lifespan with updates, kitchen remodeling is one of the most popular choices in the Fairfax, Virginia area. Besides the reasons why, a homeowner should ask themselves, “Is this something we really need to do?”, “Will it be worthwhile?”.
Here are the top more popular reasons for kitchen remodeling:
1. Improve comfort
Maybe you purchased your home with plans as a forever home. But then you have children and before you know it, everyone is on top of each other in the mornings and on weekends. Your family has simply outgrown the kitchen space and it is not comfortable to cook those Sunday morning breakfasts or dinners, kitchen remodeling can bring the fun back.
2. Safety issue.
Maybe you purchased an older home and have discovered electrical problems, a cracked foundation, or maybe a roof leak. In time, each of these can cause structural issues and they can develop into a safety issues. Kitchen remodeling is one of the best ways to address safety issues and make your home safe.
3. Home value.
If you’re planning to sell your home in the near future, kitchen remodeling can give you a step up over other homes for sale in the area and give you the most ROI.
4. Home functioning.
Getting additional space or adding a second bathroom are two top ways to improve your home. When the kitchen is too small for a family that likes to cook, kitchen remodeling can make the cooking function better.
5. Increased efficiency.
Kitchen remodeling that includes energy-saving appliances will increase efficiency and lower utility bills, making your home more affordable.
What is the estimated budget for the kitchen remodel?
This can depend on how deep and detailed the kitchen remodeling process you plan to go. If you’re replacing all the appliances, countertops, flooring, and fixtures, it will cost more than doing the minimum of replacing countertops, cabinetry, and flooring. One of the first steps you need to take in planning your kitchen remodeling is a budget. Here are some tips that experts recommend in setting that budget:
- Decide how much you can spend on your kitchen remodeling and stick to that amount. it. The “stick to that amount” is the hard part.
- Know how the breakdown of the kitchen remodeling costs. Labor is the biggest part of the cost and cabinetry can be the next biggest part.
- Set an additional twenty percent of your kitchen remodeling budget for the unexpected.
- Make a list of your priorities for your kitchen remodeling project. Appliances, cabinetry, flooring, fixtures, etc. Make sure to add these costs to the budget!
- Line up how you’ll be paying for your kitchen remodeling project. Do you need a home equity loan or are you pulling the funds from savings?
- Decide if you’ll be staying in your home during the kitchen remodeling process or do you need to stay elsewhere? The cost of a hotel or rental place should be included in your budget.
- Where are you taking your meals during the kitchen remodeling process? Eating out three times a day for a month can get expensive, and 6 months or longer will cost even more. This needs to be included in your budget too.
- Do the easy, small tasks of your kitchen remodeling to help the expense, like the demolition and taking up old flooring and old appliances.
How much time is needed to complete the remodel?
Again, just as the cost can vary based on how in-depth you plan to go with your kitchen remodeling, so will the calendar. The more work you plan to do, or have done, you can expect between a couple of weeks and up to 6 months or longer.
What is the best design and layout for kitchen remodeling?
There are three types of layouts for kitchen remodeling, you want to choose the best for your family’s routines. The three basic layouts are:
Depending on your kitchen remodeling budget and timeline, you may want a combination of these three, or perhaps you’re family would do better with an open layout. Experts recommend keeping the ‘triangle’ to make the flow work easier. The triangle points are the refrigerator, sink, and stove.
What type of materials should be used for the remodel?
There are many components to consider with a kitchen remodeling project. You want to choose the ones that are beautiful, durable, practical, and today, environmentally responsible is a key factor too. Those components and choices are:
- Countertops: What type of countertops should be used in the kitchen? This is a big-ticket item that you can choose ceramic tile, granite, or marble. There are pros and cons to each, so review and determine the best for your household.
- Lighting: For an older home, a lighting upgrade is the number one thing in kitchen remodeling. You want to be able to see at all hours of the day and night but keep your kitchen feeling homey and welcoming.
- Wall Treatment: This should coordinate with the choice of cabinetry with paint being a popular choice for tight kitchen remodeling budgets. Paneling and wallpaper are options you can consider too.
- Hardware: The handles, knobs, and pulls on your kitchen cabinetry are going to be key in a kitchen remodeling project, even if you’re keeping the same cabinetry.
- Cabinets: Some options are contemporary, European frameless, brushed metal, laminate, or even a stone front. The interior is just as important, maybe even more. Consider the lazy Susan upgrade, appliance garages, and if you want hinged, sliding, or roll-top doors.
What kind of appliances should be included in a kitchen remodeling project?
This can be a big part of your kitchen remodeling budget, so choose what you need versus what you want. Your ‘want’ list can wait until the budget is replenished if necessary. Common appliances that are replaced during this remodeling project include:
What type of flooring should be used in a kitchen remodeling project?
Porcelain is the most durable and looks good too. It is a harder surface that is less porous, ideal for a busy kitchen where drops and spills are frequent.
So, when you have an asphalt driveway, knowing when to replace a driveway will keep your home’s curb appeal looking good. Of course, if it has become severely damaged, replacement is recommended, but on average, an asphalt driveway that is kept maintained as recommended and resealed every 3 years will last 20 years or longer.
Baumbach Plumbing & Remodeling Services LLC provides fresh kitchen remodeling in Fairfax Station, VA. Call 703-250-4200 to discuss your plans!